This picture is the radar of the exact moment the eye wall of Hurricane Michael went over our house on 10/10/2018.
Hurricane season is every year from June 1st- November 30th. These months are when we hold our breath in hopes that we are spared from the destruction that Mother Nature can bring.
Many believe that you should not be worried about hurricanes unless you live on the ocean, but that is not always the case. You never know where a hurricane might travel too. All depends on certain weather fronts and the Jetstream when it makes landfall!
After being a part of the Mexico Beach/Port St Joe community that was hit by Category 5 Hurricane Michael on 10/10/2018, we learned the importance of being prepared for anything! That area was without power for 45 days! Some areas even longer. No one can predict what Mother Nature will decide to do, but we can prepare!
We have compiled a Hurricane Supply list of some important things to consider when prepping for the season. Some things will be important for you and others will be there if you need to help others.
If you are ever in a hard hit disaster area, it can take days before outside help arrives. It takes time for supplies to be gathered, organized, and dispersed to those in need. After Hurricane Michael, it was a few days before help arrived to start assisting with food and water needs. You and your neighbors will only have each other to rely on. Be prepared! Make sure you are stocked up!
Place these things in a safe place that you will be able to grab or compile quickly when needed.
Include the following on your Hurricane Supply List:
Food and Water- At Least 7 Days Worth
- Bottled Water/1 Gallon Jugs
- Canned Goods/ Baby Food/Snacks
- Non-perishable Items/ Juice/Bread
- Non-electric Can Opener
- Paper Goods- Paper Plates, Cups, Napkins
- Hygiene Products- Deodorant/Wipes
- Sunscreen/ Sun Relief Gel/Lotion/ Bug Spray
- Dry Clothing/Rain Jackets/Boots
- Purse/Bag Filled with Bank Information, Credit Cards, Keys, etc.
- Cash is Important Due to Lines Being Down.
- Gas/Diesel Cans
- Candles- Make Sure You Store and Burn in a Safe Place
First Aid- (Kits are Available)
- Bandages/Gauze/Pads/Adhesive Tape
- Scissors/Gloves/Masks/ Tourniquet
- Oral Medication- Benedryl, Aspirin, Tylenol, Aleve, etc
- Antiseptic/ Hand Sanitizer/ Disinfectant Wipes
- Tarps- Difference Sizes
- Pet Care Supplies
- Baby Supplies
Important Documents- Make Sure These Items Are in Waterproof Bag or Folder
- ID Cards (Driver’s License, Social Security Cards)
- Personal Insurance Cards/ Will
- Home Insurance Policies/Proof of Ownership (Light Bill, Mortgage, etc)
- Medical Records with List of Prescriptions Needed
Tip: Take pictures of your house both inside and outside.
After experiencing a hurricane first hand, we are passionate about helping others prepare as much as possible. Hurricane Michael was predicted to be a Category 1 and in 2 days grew to a Cat 5! No one was prepared. That area was not expecting what happened. Many people were not even able to leave.
Please prepare now. Have a supply ready to go, and have an escape plan ready to execute. Above all, remember your neighbors.
Did we leave something out of our Hurricane Supply List? Let us know below!